This video tutorial shows you how to fix the “black screen of death” problem of the Acer Aspire One netbook. This is a very common problem with this netbook since it was released to the market with a defective BIOS software that can eventually fail and needs to be upgraded.
This problem is so common, that the manufacturer decided to post the solution on the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) of his site.
Notice that the instructions in the official FAQ tells you to download the version 3309 of the BIOS, this will fix the problem, but I got the black screen again a couple of months after fixing it. My recommendation (as can be seen in the video) is to go get the latest BIOS version for your particular model of Acer Aspire One.
These are the instructions according to ACER:
“Create a recovery USB drive to update the Bios on the unit. The specific steps to perform this recovery with the USB drive are:
- Download & Extract AS1_BIOS_3309.zip (found inhttp://support.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/documents/AS1_BIOS_3309.zip)
- Rename the Bios name from 3309.fd to zg5ia32.fd
- Copy zg5ia32.fd and Flashit.exe to USB flash drive.
- Start the restoration process:
- A. Plug the AC Adapter into the unit.
- B. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
- C. Press and Hold down the Fn and the Esc keys together.
- D. Keep these keys held down and press power.
- E. When the unit’s power light comes on release the Fn and Esc keys.
- F. After the keys have been released the power light will start to blink.
- G. Let the unit run and after approximately 1 to 7 minutes, the unit should reboot.
- H. Video should now be restored.
If these steps fail to resolve the no post, no video issue please contact Acer Technical Support.”
I recommend to try with different types of USB drive. Some USB drives just don’t work.
Here’s the link to the official ACER site with the instructions:
And here’s the Acer official web site in case you need it: http://us.acer.com
If you found this information useful or you have any questions please leave a comment.
Have a nice day!
For any questions, queries please do not hesitate to leave a comment in the queries page at the bottom of the page or contact us at email@example.com
Join us on facebook